Online Bridesmaids' Dresses- Handmade vs High Street.
If you're planning your wedding, no doubt you've been looking at bridesmaids' dresses. As I am writing this, we are in lockdown due to Covid-19 and so lots of brides have turned to online solutions while continuing to plan their wedding. With online fast fashion retailers now offering a variety of wedding & prom dresses at low prices, do they work for everyone, and who pays the price for the cheap clothing? In this blog I'm going to explain why I believe you should go for handmade dresses, vs fast fashion retailers.
Handmade dresses are made with love in fair conditions:
- It's a saying that goes around a lot, but when you buy from a small business, there is a real life person (in this case me!) behind the phone or computer, and it makes such a huge difference to our lives when people choose to shop small.
- It's no secret that the fast-fashion industry is a huge polluter. I don't want to go into this too deeply as there are lot's of places you can read about it, but please consider your impact on the environment on your wedding day. Fast-fashion companies are notoriously bad for the environment. We are proud to offer a sustainable alternative as we only make items to order. This means we don't have any stock going to waste or unwanted items disposed of.
- Your wedding is a really special occasion and you deserve to have your dresses made by someone who puts love, care and attention into every stitch.
High street/Online retail offers limited sizing, but at low cost.
- The general enquiries I get day to day all share the same questions - "I have a girl who is 5'1 and size 8 and a girl who is 5'9 and size 16 with big boobs, will these dresses fit?" And I can always say 'YES' with confidence because all of my items are made to measure.
- Online retailers generally offer limited sizing, this is especially problematic when you want all your girls to match in the same dress, maybe it's a sale bargain but they only have the sizes you don't want in stock.
When you order custom dresses you can get exactly what you want.
- As a small business, I can't compete with some of the prices of fast fashion retailers, if you are really stretched on your budget then you could probably settle on a ready-made design that will do. But why settle? For a little extra, you could get dresses made exactly how you want, in the right colour, length and fit for each of your girls. You can choose from my 100+ designs, or send my 'build-a-dress' tool to your bridesmaid's and let them customise their perfect gown, or you can go completely custom, the beauty of talking to a real person based in the UK is that there are no communication errors and I always check in with you at each stage of a custom order.
Conclusion: If you on an extremely tight budget, you may think that high street or online fast fashion bridesmaids' dresses are your only option. But our custom made dresses start from as little as £60, why not treat yourself to the luxury of a custom, bespoke dress that will fit perfectly and match your colour scheme exactly? Support a small business without compromising your wedding day vision.